Local Food Discovery Program
In October 2020, the National Post reported on the survey of Canadians that 25 per cent of folks actively seek out local food while grocery shopping and almost 80 percent are willing to pay more for locally produced food. At the same time, the Western Producer suggested that locally-produced foods could make a much bigger impact in Canada’s local urban markets if they were easy to find and buy
Therefore, the Eastern Ontario Agri-Food Network presents the Local Food Discovery Program. The objective of the program is to invite new consumers of local food to local vendors and farmers' markets.
The Program consists of a booklet of special offers and discounts from participating farmers and food vendors. Better than a food map, the Booklet has an inherent market value with over $400 of discounts and deals. The discount will give new local food consumers a financial incentive to visit local food vendors and farmers markets.
The Discovery booklet will contain 40 vendors and each vendor will have 12 discount boxes to check/stamp/initial so that customers may visit them several times. The booklet will list the participating farmers markets in Eastern Ontario. The EOAN expects to print 5,000 booklets for the November 2021 edition for wide distribution across Eastern Ontario.
The Program is a fundraising and promotional partnership with community organizations and businesses. Professionals and businesses are invited to purchase the booklets and gift them to customers and employees as a token of appreciation.
Community organizations, charities, and professional associations are invited to purchase the booklets in bulk and then resell them among their members, supporters, and community to raise funds for their organization. Community organizations can partner with local businesses where the business can be the seller and distributor of the booklets on behalf of the fundraising drive.
Farmers and food & beverage producers:
- Grow your business and reach customers by listing your business and your incentive in the Discovery booklet.
- Think about the slower fall and winter season when you need to bring customers back to your business.
- Determine a discount, deal, or special incentive to attract customers to your business.
- The listing fee is $100 for members of the EOAN, or $125 for non-members. If you are not a member of the EOAN and you choose the member's fee, then membership will be added to your invoice (free for farmers).
- Complete this registration form to join the Discovery booklet by September 30th 2021.
- Purchase the booklets at:
- $10 each for 10 booklets, or
- $3 each for 50 booklets.
- Booklet sales will start on October 1st so please come back then to purchase your booklets.
- Gift them to your employees, customers, friends as a token of your appreciation.
- Resell the booklets for $10 each in your community to raise funds for your organization, and collaborate with a business partner to promote your fundraising drive.
For more information or to discuss your idea, please contact the Discovery program coordinator, Mr Marc Dacosta, firstname.lastname@example.org.